Tuesday, September 6, 2011

2011 Ring - Attempt #2

Saturday - Sept 3 2011 I again attempted the Ring, a circuit of the 71-mile orange-blazed Massanutten Trail in the George Washington National Forest. Last year I made it 46 miles before stumbling to a halt at Edinburg Gap. This year I went a little further to 56 miles at Woodstock Tower before losing my lunch and dinner on the trail. Maybe next September will be my finish. It was a hot day and it never cooled down much at night, so I'm sure that played into my difficulties. Still, for some strange reason, I like this run more than many others. Perhaps it's the inability to finish that keeps bringing me back. Below are my Garmin waypoints from my time on the course. As you can see, going clockwise, I still have an unfinished section to complete.



Map created by GPS Visualizer









This map was created using GPS Visualizer's do-it-yourself geographic utilities.

Please wait while the map data loads...




















1 comment:

  1. You'll succeed next time Doug. But keep in mind you'll then be able to run the Reverse Ring. :)

    ReplyDelete